Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Uganda Chronicles...What a way to start!

My final flight into the village!

Passage through the mountains to Bundibugyo from the air.


Nyahuka from the air.
The mission from the air.

The airstrip.

Saturday, October 20, 2007

How to describe my first few days here? I am not sure that I can do them justice. Beautiful, exhausting, laughter, rain, adventure, frustration, fellowship, mud, joy…

Upon my arrival in Nyahuka, Uganda, our small village just outside of Bundibugyo, I threw my bags into my new home and immediately climbed into the back of the same pickup which had just moments before picked me up from the large patch of grass they call an air strip and we headed down to the clinic. Nothing like the present for jumping in and getting started. I joined Dr. Jennifer Myhre and Scott Will rounding on the remaining pediatric patients. (There are three Scott’s here, so I will try to identify them when I refer to them.) In my few short days here we have mostly treated patients for malaria (fever), sickle cell crisis, anemia, and malnutrition. Next, Scott Will and I rushed to help with the anti-natal clinic. There must have been more than 50 women waiting to be seen and no providers in sight. I love pregnant women, and these women were beautiful. I got to use a fetoscope for the first time, or at least I think that is what you call the aluminum thing with a hole we used on their bellies. I am pretty sure I heard at least one fetal heart beat, and maybe two others, but with no instruction, I will never know for sure. I think I am already adopting Scott Will’s mantra, “I am better than having no one at all.” Finally, some rest, unpacking and fellowship with my new roommates, Amy and Kim and new neighbors, Scott Will and Scott Ikes (commonly referred to as Scotticus).

Enough about work. It is so beautiful here! Nyhuka is located at the base of the Rwenzori Mountains, also known as the Mountains of the Moon, and they are stunning. I flew over them on my last flight into the town (in a little Cessna) and was in awe of them. The mountains are tropical and the climate here is warm and humid. We are in the rainy season now, so it rains every day for at least a short period.

The people here are as beautiful as the countryside. They smile all the time with glistening white teeth in sharp contrast to their dark skin. Oh so beautiful! And infectious. I find myself smiling all the time as well. Children continuously run up to greet me and/or stare at me. They all seem to know the same greeting phrase in English, “How are you?” and love to demonstrate their English prowess each time I walk by. I love it. You have to respond “I am fine” otherwise they won’t understand your response. Like in any third world country, the children are always dirty and sometimes half naked, but oh they are happy. The adults are kind as well and always happy to meet a new person with the mission team. I have learned so many names and cannot even hope to remember them all. I simply hope to get to know a few of them well enough to call them friend.

I have waited too long and there is too much to tell for one email. So, look for future emails with tales of my adventures in Uganda.
Love and God bless,
Rachel



This is the house I stayed in and the Kitube in front where we met with people and sat outside in an effort to get better internet connection.

My back yard! Life's tough huh!

No comments: